I know, Mozzarella salad with melon may seem like a slightly odd combo but I promise you it totally works. Think of it as a celebration of fruit and cheese, like a summertime charcuterie board, which happens to be one of the most delicious combos of all time!
Ingredients for mozzarella Salad with Melon
- Mozzarella: use storebought mozzarella balls to make life easier or buy a block of fresh mozzarella and scoop the balls yourself to save money!
- Melon: I used watermelon, but honeydew or cantaloupe would be just as delicious.
- Olive oil: perfect silky texture for the lemon dressing.
- Lemon juice: zesty addition that pairs well with pine nuts.
- Pine nuts: an added crunch! You can even toast them.
- Basil: marinated in the lemon dressing, it soaks up every drop of flavor to bring this salad to life.
How to Make Watermelon Balls
Using a melon baller, or measuring spoon (see below), push into the flesh, twist and scoop. Trying to scrape along the watermelon will make a mess. This is not a mini ice-cream scoop, that is not how life works.
Check out my reel to learn the easiest way to cut a watermelon!
Do you need a melon baller?
No! Absolutely not. You can easily scoop a ball out of any fruit simply using a measuring spoon, as long as it’s deep enough. Use the same method, push into the flesh, twist, and scoop!
If you'd rather not spend money on pre-made mozzarella balls, I'm with you. Buy a block of fresh mozzarella and scoop them yourself. It's oddly satisfy, fun, and a budget friendly.
Can I Make This Ahead of Time?
The melon balls can be made and place in an airtight container the day before serving. The salad can be assembled, but not dressed, up to 2 hours in advance and kept covered in the fridge. Add dressing before serving.
Mozzarella Salad With Melon & Pine Nuts
- 8 oz container fresh mozzarella balls in water, drained
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoon fresh basil
- 2 cups watermelon balls, about ½ large watermelon
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, pine nuts, salt and pepper, lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon basil. Pour it over the mozzarella and stick it in the fridge while you use a melon baller to scoop out the watermelon.
- Place the watermelon balls in a large bowl. Pour the mozzarella and all the dressing contents in the bowl with the melon and toss well. Top with extra fresh basil and herbs before serving. You can keep this is the fridge for about an hour before serving.