These cheesy loaded sweet potato skins are filled with black beans, salsa and cheese. An easy sweet potato recipe that needs just a few ingredients to make it taste this good!
A healthy alternative to potato skins, they are the perfect appetizer whether you’re watching the Super Bowl or getting together with friends. So quick and easy to make.
What makes these healthy & delicious?
- Sweet potatoes: a sweet and nutritious alternative to regular potatoes. *NOTE: all potatoes are created equal. The major difference comes down to the nutrients provided!
- Black beans: 99% of Americans have a can of black beans in the pantry (that's a fact, I swear). Look for low-sodium or no-salt added.
- Diced tomatoes & green chilies: easy & nutritious way to add flavor. I prefer a can of Rotel Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, but you can use fresh tomatoes and jalapeños, homemade or canned salsa.
- Shredded cheese: look for part-skim and low-sodium shredded cheeses. We used mozzarella, but cheddar is also acceptable!
Loaded Sweet Potato Skins
- This recipe is vegetarian friendly, but you can easily add ground beef or shredded chicken for a protein boost.
- Baking the sweet potatoes before filling helps them keep their shape.
money saving tips
- Buy in bulk: purchase the bag of sweet potatoes instead of individual ones. They tend to be smaller and it'll save you money.
- Opt for canned: canned beans and salsa are just as nutritious as fresh, homemade options. Plus, they're a HUGE time saver.
What to do with the scooped potato?
Scooped sweet potato can be stored for 2-3 days. Mix it with just a smidge of butter, milk, salt and pepper and serve it alongside chicken breast.
More Game Day Recipes
Loaded Sweet Potato Skins
- 6 small sweet potatoes
- 1 can low-sodium black beans rinsed and drained
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Kosher salt & pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes & green chilies
- Shredded cheese (mozzarella or cheddar)
- Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork. Wrap in a damp towel and microwave for 6 minutes or until soft.
- Let cool. Cut sweet potatoes in half and scrape out flesh. Bake for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together black beans, ground cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Remove from oven. Spoon black bean mixture into sweet potato halves, top with diced tomatoes and green chilies, sprinkle shredded cheese and bake another 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Top each skin with optional toppings and serve right away!