If you’ve ever had any fruit salsa, you know that sweet fruit + spice is a surprisingly delicious combination. And if you are obsessed with watermelon like me, you will love these Chili Lime Watermelon Fries! A spicy seasoning adds just a little kick to complement the sweetness and completely transform the watermelon.
Why these work
Other than being the perfect poolside or BBQ snack this summer, here’s why you’ll love these watermelon fries.
- Great for kids! You might want to omit the chili.
- Naturally sweet, and hydrating
- Fruity, refreshing, spicy snack.
- Portable, quick and easy.
- Filling, protein packed dip.
What You Need To Make Chili Lime Watermelon Sticks
- Watermelon: seedless is best, but not required.
- Chili Powder: the savory addition you didn’t know you needed
- Lime: juice and zest for the fries AND yogurt dip
- Kosher Salt: for an extra zing
- Greek yogurt: there is no wrong yogurt for this recipe. Whole fat, non-fat, dairy-free – anything will work!
- Honey: adds some extra sweetness to the watermelon sticks but it’s optional if you find your watermelon is sweet enough.
Recipe Tips and Notes
The key to choosing a good watermelon for making watermelon fries is to follow the Three S’s: skin, size, spot.
- Firm skin free of cuts, dents, or bruises.
- A watermelon that feels heavy for its size.
- A creamy, yellow spot on the bottom.
To cut the watermelon into sticks, you can simply slice the watermelon into rounds, cut off the rind, and then cut the watermelon into sticks the size of fries.
If you can find Tajin seasoning and don’t want to make the seasoning yourself, give it a try on these Watermelon Sticks! Tajin is a Mexican seasoning that has a mixture of very simple ingredients including salt, chili, and lime.
Can I make these watermelon fries in advance?
You can cut the watermelon into strips a few days in advance but I recommend adding the seasoning prior to serving. Cut watermelon can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to a week.
More Recipes You Might Like
So, tell me – have you made watermelon sticks? Leave me a comment below with your thoughts!
Spicy Watermelon Fries with Chili Lime Yogurt Dip
- 1 seedless watermelon, cut into strips
- ½ tsp chili powder
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- In a medium bowl, combine watermelon, chili powder, lime zest, and salt. Toss to combine.
- In a bowl, combine yogurt, lime juice and zest and honey.
- Serve with dip and enjoy!