Got 2 minutes? Then, you have time for a healthy breakfast! This 2 minute microwave muffin tastes just like banana bread – rich, sweet, hearty, and totally breakfast worthy.
So if you’re tired of using your brown bananas for actual banana bread, you can change things up a bit with this banana bread oatmeal muffin!
Oatmeal Muffin in a Mug
There are a ton of single-serving microwave recipes out there, but many are on the indulgent side – I’m taking to you, brownie in a mug.
I love muffins, but hate making a whole batch if I’m the only one eating. A few years ago, someone introduced me to single-serve oatmeal microwave muffins and I’ve been obsessed ever since. They’re a cross between baked oatmeal and muffins and are ready to go in just 2 minutes!
The base is always the same: oats + liquid + egg. From there, the flavor possibilities are endless (my personal favorite is banana bread, but you can find more delicious ideas at the end of this post).
Microwave Baked Oats
There are so many ways to cook oatmeal (overnight, stovetop, slow cooker, Instant Pot), but nothing is faster than using the good ol’ microwave.
Ingredients for banana bread oatmeal muffin
- Oatmeal: since microwave oatmeal is supposed to be a quick and easy breakfast solution, it’s best to use rolled oats or instant-oatmeal.
- Banana: natural sweetener, adds moisture to the “muffin”. Remember: riper bananas = a sweeter muffin.
- Milk: I like to use oat or almond milk, but any milk will do.
- Egg: holds all of the ingredients together and gives recipe more of a cake-like texture.
- Ground flaxseed: for a boost of fiber.
- Honey: because it’s sweet and delicious, duh.
- Cinnamon: because every classic banana bread recipe has cinnamon.
- Mix-ins: try adding a handful of dark chocolate chips or nuts.
- Toppings: top with pecans, walnuts, peanut butter, or yogurt.
How To Make Baked Oats In The Microwave
Baked oatmeal in a mug couldn’t be easier! All you need is a mug and a microwave.. 🤯
- Combine all ingredients in a mug. If you really want another dish to wash you can mix them in a small bowl and transfer to a mug, but that seems like a lot of work.
- Microwave for 1-2 minutes. If you like your oatmeal gooey, cook it for 1-1.5 minutes – it’s kind of like an underbaked oatmeal cookie (yum!) If you want baked oats to be more like cake, cook for 2 minutes until it’s cake-like and fluffy.
- Top and enjoy! I like to add a splash of milk and some peanut or almond butter. Feel free to add a dollop of yogurt or handful of nuts.
Tip: If you’re wanting to make the TikTok baked oats, be sure to blend your oats into flour or use oat flour before combining with the other ingredients.
baked Oatmeal muffin Variations
- Lemon Cheesecake: 1 tbsp honey + 1 tsp lemon zest
- Chocolate Peanut Butter: 1 tbsp peanut butter + 1 tbsp cocoa powder + 1 tbsp honey
- Apple Cinnamon: diced apple + 1 tsp cinnamon + 1 tsp maple syrup
- Blueberry muffin: handful of blueberries + 1 tbsp almond butter + 1 tbsp maple syrup + 1 tsp cinnamon
Banana Bread Oatmeal Muffin In A Mug
- 1 pack instant oatmeal*
- ½ ripe banana mashed
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp honey
- chocolate chips optional
- crushed walnuts or pecans, melted peanut butter, blueberries
- Gently mix all ingredients (including chocolate chips, if using) in a small bowl.
- Pour into a microwave safe mug and microwave for 2 minutes. If still a little wet, microwave in 15 second intervals until cooked through.
- Eat in the mug as is or invert onto a plate.