When life gives you ripe bananas, don't think banana bread is the only way to use them. I've rounded up 10 ripe banana recipes to help you waste less and enjoy more!
Delicious Ripe Banana Recipes
Ripe bananas are a superhero in the kitchen. A banana’s sweetness actually intensifies as it ripens, making it perfect for baking.
But before you decide to bake another banana bread, here are some creative ways to put them to work.
- Banana Bread Oatmeal Muffin In A Mug from our kitchen
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Sundae Bites from Kara Lydon at The Foodie Dietitian
- Banana Kiwi Smoothie from our kitchen
- Raspberry Banana Overnight Oats from our kitchen
- Blueberry Banana Wraps from Forks Over Knives
- Chocolate Avocado Pudding from our kitchen
- Cold Brew Coffee Protein Smoothie from Megan Byrd, RD, nutrition blogger at The Oregon Dietitian
- Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal Cups from our kitchen
- Chocolate Banana Nut Energy Bites from Brittany Poulson, RD, author of The Healthy Family Cookbook
- Overnight French Toast from Shannon Garcia, RD, owner of Kiss in the Kitchen
Bonus: Ripe Banana Hacks
Ever wonder why a bunch of bananas have plastic wrap around the stem at the grocery store? When bananas ripen, they release ethylene gas from the stems. Wrapping traps the gas and slows the ripening process.
Ripen Other Fruit Faster
You know that thing about putting underripe fruit in a brown paper bag to make it ripen faster? Well, it actually works. Need to use that unripe avocado before you miss completely miss the ripe window? Place it in a brown paper bag with a banana and let the ethylene gas do its work.
Peel and Freeze
Peel and break the banana into chunks, place in plastic bags, and freeze! Now they can easily be added to recipes like kiwi banana smoothies or banana ice cream.
Ripen In The Oven
Need a slightly sweeter, perfectly mushy banana fast? Poke holes in it with a fork and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 300ºF for 15-30 minutes, or until completely brown.
What's your favorite way to use bananas!? Other than making banana bread, of course.