What if I told you that you could have your cookie dough and nutrition too? This chickpea cookie dough dip is the answer to all life’s problems. It’s packed with protein, fiber, healthy fats and totally safe to eat “raw”.
chickpea cookie dough 101
Now I’ll admit — the first time I heard of this concept, I thought it was crazy. How on Earth would chickpeas taste like cookies? Isn’t this, like, pureed dessert hummus?”
And while the latter is still kind of true…I’m okay with it. Because somehow the combination of sunbutter, chickpeas, vanilla, and honey totally masks the flavor of chickpeas, and a sprinkle of chocolate chips makes you think it’s the real thing.
Not to mention it uses common pantry ingredients so you can use whatever you have on hand. Here’s what you need to make it, as well as a few substitution ideas.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Chickpeas: An ultra easy, creamy, and sneakily healthy way to enjoy cookie dough flavor! High in filling protein and fiber, this cookie dough can satisfy your hunger and your sweet tooth cravings.
- Sunbutter: makes this dip so much better than peanut or almond butter versions. It adds the perfect amount of sweetness, while neutralizing any hint of beans. Plus it’s creamy and smooth 😍
- Vanilla Extract: pairs beautifully with all the other ingredients.
- Honey: perfect for bringing natural sweetness to the chickpea cookie dough.
- Milk: regular or plant-based will do. You may also need more than 2 tbsp depending on consistency and preference.
- Chocolate Chips: really bring it home and make it taste even more like chocolate chip cookie dough. I kept it allergy friendly by using Enjoy Life mini-morsels, but any chocolate chip will do.
- No chickpeas? No problem? Cannellini beans are just as great!
- Need to make it vegan? Use maple syrup instead of honey.
how to make chickpea cookie dough
- Start rinsing and draining the chickpeas. Note: some recipes say to peel your chickpeas for a smoother dough. I’ve still gotten a rich, creamy texture without peeling (or adding flour) but you can always try!
- Put chickpeas, Sunbutter, vanilla and honey in a food processor.
- And process until smooth! You can fold in the chocolate chips or be a rebel and throw them in the food processor once your dough forms.
- Sweeten to taste: I used 3 tablespoons of honey, but you can use more or less to taste.
- Milk, no milk: if you want to use it for dipping, adding 1-2 tbsp of milk will loosen it up a bit. If you’re a savage with a spoon (like me) I’d say to keep as is!
- Dippers: perfect for apple slices, graham crackers, pretzels, strawberries… you name it. It’s like dessert hummus but butter.
Still skeptical about bean based desserts? Try my Black Bean Brownies
Chickpea Cookie Dough
- Food Processor
- Apple slices
- Graham crackers
- Add all ingredients, except chocolate chips, into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Mix in chocolate chips and enjoy with apple slices!