On the hunt for munchies that are safe for people with food allergies? Not sure how to navigate the grocery store with allergy friendly products? No problem!
I’ve rounded up a list of my favorite allergen free brands plus shopping tips. They are all free of The Big 8: milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soy.
*On April 23, 2021, the Food Allergy Safety, Treatment, Education, and Research (FASTER) Act was signed into law, declaring sesame as the 9th major food allergen recognized by the United States. This change will become effective on January 1, 2023, so labeling of sesame as an allergen will not be required until that time.
Navigating the Grocery Store
Shopping for someone with food allergies can be stressful. Knowing what to look for and having go-to allergy friendly products are essential. Here are some tips to help you get started.
Read Food Labels
By law, major allergens must be listed on all nutrition labels in one of two ways:
- Ingredients section: the major allergen will be listed in parenthesis directly after the ingredient.
- “Contains” Statement: following the ingredients, “contains wheat, soy, and milk”.
Major allergens may be listed as advisory statements like “may contain” or “produced in a facility that also uses [allergen]”.
- Research allergen friendly recipes and brands before shopping.
- Keep track of your favorite (safe & tasty) products!
- Create a list of go-to allergy friendly meals the whole family enjoys, like these Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal Cups.
Use an Allergen-Friendly Shopping Tools
- Yummly: recipes for personalized dietary needs. Plug in your allergies for appropriate recipes and ingredients.
- ShopWell: free app that gives a personalized nutrition score when a food profile is created with dietary goals, allergies, health concerns, and dislikes. Simply scan items to see if they match
- Allergen Inside: membership program where you can search/scan groceries to check for allergens.
Top 8 allergen free brands
Allergy friendly everything! From chocolate chips, to cookies, to protein bites – Enjoy Life products are free of the top 14 allergens.
Not only are they safe for school, but there are 6 hidden veggies in every snack!
Snackable gourmet pumpkin seeds that are school safe and delicious.
Sunbutter + Chocolate = Sun Cups! It’s like an allergy friendly Reese’s, only better.
Seed (not nut) butter you can dip, dollop, and spread. Simple ingredients, protein-rich, and bursting with nutrition.
Plant-based granola, popcorn, chips, and baking mixes with a clean label. Safe + Fair products are worth stocking the pantry with.
Crave worthy flavor baked into crunchy & soft baked cookies and baking mixes. Free of the Big 8, gluten-free, and vegan!
*Always read the labels and allergen statements, and contact the companies if necessary to determine if products are safe for you and your family before consuming. Allergen information for each brand such as products, ingredients, recipes, and production facilities can change over time.