Canned foods are a convenient and affordable way to incorporate fruits and vegetables into your diet. They can play an important role in a healthy diet, but when it comes to heart health they tend to get a bad rap.
Is it a coincidence that February is National Heart Health and National Canned Foods Month? I think not. Making heart healthy meals using canned food is easier (and tastier) than you think.
Making Heart Healthy Choices
❤️ Look for low-sodium, no-salt added options. Reduced sodium, lower sodium, or 25% less sodium DO NOT mean low-sodium. Rinsing before using can also reducing sodium content.
❤️ Pick high-fiber foods like beans, fruits and vegetables. Fiber intake helps lower cholesterol and improve heart health. Plus they’re loaded with essential nutrients!
❤️ Omega-3’s: Heart healthy fats found in fish, seeds, and oils. Low-sodium canned salmon or tuna is a great way to meet your weekly omega-3 intake.
Cooking With Canned Goods
Butternut Squash Noodles with Black Bean Salsa
- Butternut squash noodles
- Black beans
- Diced tomatoes & green chilies
Egg White Spinach Omelet
- 2 egg whites
- Canned spinich
- Black beans
Garlic Parmesan Green Beans
- No salt added canned green beans
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Grated parmesan
- Canned pumpkin
- Plain oatmeal
- Ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Chopped pecans
Mediterranean Salmon Salad
- 12 oz can skinless, boneless salmon
- Red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup (1/2 of a 15.5 oz can) white beans
- 14 oz can artichokes
- Garlic, minced
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Salt & pepper
Spicy Chickpea & Tomato Spinach
- 15 oz chickpeas
- No salt added caned spinach
- No salt added diced tomatoes
- Red pepper flakes
Creamy Pumpkin Pasta
*Add parmesan or nutritional yeast.
- 15 oz pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup unsweetened milk
- Sage leaves
- 1 cup cooked pasta
- Canned tuna + whole grain crackers
- Spicy roasted chickpeas
- Canned pumpkin + Greek yogurt
Top it Off
- Use canned blueberries or pineapple as yogurt toppings.
- Sweeten up your salad with sliced beets or peaches.
- Add veggies to your pizza using canned carrot coins, mushrooms, or sliced peppers.
What’s your go-to meal using canned food?